San Antonio Spurs roundup: Celebrating LaMarcus Aldridge’s NBA debut
By Rob Wolkenbrod
The San Antonio Spurs will start Week 5 of the 2017-18 season. Before that, let’s look at the latest news, notes and headlines for Monday, Nov. 13.
After an off day on Sunday, the San Antonio Spurs’ Week 5 has arrived. It will build off the momentum of Saturday’s blowout win over the Chicago Bulls, as the heart of November approaches.
The 39-point winning margin was San Antonio’s highest of the 2017-18, and came without the usual Kawhi Leonard, Tony Parker and Joffrey Lauvergne in the lineup. However, Danny Green nursed an injury and Manu Ginobili rested, so the team was more shorthanded than usual.
Monday, Nov. 13 will be another off day for the Spurs. Before it gets started, let’s see the latest news, notes and headlines:
- It was a near perfect game for the Spurs against the Bulls. This included 18-for-27 from the 3-point line — by far their highest mark of the young season. Players stepped up, including Bryn Forbes, receiving his first career start.
- With the long homestand over, the Silver and Black will move toward a two-game road trip. It starts against the struggling Dallas Mavericks, with the Minnesota Timberwolves as the other half of the latest back-to-back.
- In Pounding the Rock’s latest Study Hall, Tom Piccolo looked at what made the Spurs perform as well against the Bulls. He noted the high rate of shots made, along with weak defense from the opposition.
- Spurs two-way player Matt Costello made his NBA debut in this game. He was used since the team was shorthanded. MLive.com profiled his performance.
- 11 years ago yesterday, LaMarcus Aldridge made his NBA debut. The Spurs Twitter account celebrated it.
11 years ago today, @aldridge_12 made his @NBA debut. pic.twitter.com/91gxlF6Fn4
— San Antonio Spurs (@spurs) November 13, 2017
- It was also Davis Bertans’ birthday. His pre-celebration was receiving 19 minutes of playing time and hitting five 3-pointers against Chicago.
Thank you for all the birthday wishes. Very happy to receive so many texts, tweets and comments from all over the world. #HalfOf50 #25
— Davis Bertans (@DBertans_42) November 12, 2017
Next: Top 25 players in Spurs history
Let’s see what headlines develop and lead into Tuesday, Nov. 14.