2K Sports indicated the San Antonio Spurs’ 2004-05 team will be part of NBA 2K18.
Previously, we looked at who could be part of the San Antonio Spurs’ All-Time team in NBA 2K18. It’s a special feature for this video game, as all 30 NBA franchises will have this.
There will be plenty of classic teams that get added to this game, too. 2K Sports dropped a few indications of teams that will be included on its Twitter account.
Before Money, there hadn’t been a classic Spurs team added. That changed when the 2K Sports Twitter indicated the 2004-05 squad will be part of NBA 2K18. It’s part of their #2KClassicTeamTournament. The 2001-02 New Jersey Nets were also announced in this tweet:
— NBA 2K 2K18 (@NBA2K) August 22, 2017
The 2004-05 Spurs won that season’s NBA Finals, defeating the Detroit Pistons in seven games. This team featured the prime of organization legends Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, all of whom were in their 20’s.
Let’s look at the full roster from that season that made it to the NBA Finals:
- Tim Duncan
- Manu Ginobili
- Tony Parker
- Robert Horry
- Bruce Bowen
- Nazr Mohammed
- Brent Barry
- Beno Udrih
- Devin Brown
- Rasho Nesterovic
- Glenn Robinson
- Tony Massenburg
Along with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili, you’ll get to lock someone down with Bowen, hit a big shot with Horry and defend the paint with Nesterovic. It should bring back memories of this team from 12 years ago.
The 2004-05 Spurs will join these already-announced teams for NBA 2K18 (not including the Nets):
- 1996-97 Miami Heat – It’s the old days of Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning running South Beach.
- 1998-99 New York Knicks – The last Knicks team to make the NBA Finals. This came in the strike-shortened season that featured an aging Patrick Ewing, Allen Houston, and Latrell Sprewell.
- 2001-02 Sacramento Kings Chris Webber will finally – The 2002 Kings were one of the most exciting teams of the decade, but will be known for Tim Donaghy’s claim that Game 6 of the ’02 Western Conference Finals was fixed so the Los Angeles Lakers won. Oh, and be in a 2K Sports game.
- 2003-04 Los Angeles Lakers – These Lakers didn’t win the 2004 NBA championship, let go of Phil Jackson after the season and traded an unhappy Shaquille O’Neal. It was also the one and only season for Karl Malone and Gary Payton in the Purple and Gold.
- 2005-06 Memphis Grizzlies – Remember when Pau Gasol played for the Grizzlies? He was joined by Shane Battier, Mike Miller, Eddie Jones, and Damon Stoudamire.
- 2007-08 New Orleans Hornets – This was the Chris Paul-led team that played in Oklahoma City, pre-Thunder. David West, Peja Stojakovic, and Tyson Chandler were also on this team. Don’t forget about Bonzi Wells!
- 2007-08 Denver Nuggets – This was part of the brief Allen Iverson era in Denver. A very young Carmelo Anthony was here, too.
- 2010-11 Dallas Mavericks – Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd got their only NBA championships that season. This team came back from 2-0 to defeat the first edition of the LeBron James-Chris Bosh-Dwyane Wade team in Miami.
- 2010-11 Chicago Bulls – Derrick Rose plays for one-year deals now, but this was his MVP season and when the Bulls looked like an Eastern Conference power.
- 2011-12 Oklahoma City Thunder – Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka were all once on the same team. They made the 2012 NBA Finals, and lost to the Heat.
- 2011-12 New York Knicks – The Knicks thought they had a plan with Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire, and Tyson Chandler to lead the team. They peaked that season and struggled ever since.
- 2012-13 Memphis Grizzlies – This was the breakthrough year for the Grizzlies, who made the 2013 Western Conference Finals. Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, and Mike Conley were all on this team.
- 2013-14 Indiana Pacers – For a while the Pacers looked like the second-best team in the Eastern Conference, playing tough against the Heat. This squad had Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Lance Stephenson lead the way.
- 2015-16 Golden State Warriors – This is the most recent team to be in NBA 2K18, and for good reason. They finished 73-9 in the regular season, the best record of all time.
There are plenty of classic teams in NBA 2K18. Who will you match the 2004-05 Spurs against?