Apr 30, 2016; San Antonio, TX, USA; TNT broadcaster Craig Sager waves to the fans during game one of the second round of the NBA Playoffs at AT&T Center. Mandatory Credit: Soobum Im-USA TODAY Sports
There have been many memories during years of watching San Antonio Spurs games. Digging deep into the franchise, we take a look at some of the greatest games in the Spurs history.
I have omitted the actual Championship games from the Spurs five Championships in making this list. In the same way that regular season games cannot be compared to playoff games. Plus if I put those Championship games, there would only be room for five more games, and the Spurs history has too many monumental thrillers to limit me to five games.
As we brought you part 1 of the top ten games, we now bring you the final five that made the list.
Next: No. 5 Greatest Games In Spurs History
5. Spurs vs Thunder Game 6, 2014 Conference Finals: With Tony Parker absent in the second half with a hurt ankle, the Spurs battled the Oklahoma City Thunder to the bitter end. A Manu Ginobili game saving 3-pointer in the waning moments, and a Kawhi Leonard steal from Russell Westbrook in overtime were huge.
Finally, Duncan took over the game in overtime with a vintage performance that sent the Spurs back to the Finals for the second straight year.
Next: No. 4 Greatest Games In Spurs History
4. Spurs vs Blazers Game 2 1999 Conference Finals:The Memorial Day Miracle. The shot heard round the world! The Spurs make a comeback from down 18 points to give themselves a chance late against the Portland Trailblazers. The rest is history. Sean Elliott tip-toed on the sideline, raised up and delivered one of the greatest shots in NBA history to win the game for the Spurs.
Next: No. 3 Greatest Games In Spurs History
3. Spurs vs Suns Game 1 2008 First Round: The Triple Dagger. The Spurs trailing all game long, refused to go away. Michael Finley delivered a game saving 3 pointer to force the 1st overtime. Then in the second overtime, Tim Duncan hit his first 3 pointer of the season to save the game and send the Spurs into a second overtime. Finally as time expired Manu Ginobili drove in and banked in the game winner in the second overtime.
Next: No. 2 Greatest Games In Spurs History
2. Spurs vs Warriors Game 1 2013 First Round: Midnight Miracle. This game is the most unbelievable game I have ever seen. The Spurs trailed by 16 points with only four minutes left in the game. The Heart of a Champion never beat stronger in any other team I have seen.
Tony Parker led the charge with Tim Duncan sidelined with the stomach flu, attacking with abandon. The Spurs defense clamped down, and one huge shot after another rained down for the Spurs sending the crowd into a frenzy well past midnight San Antonio time.
Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Boris Diaw all hit clutch shots in support of Parker’s relentless drives. In the end, trailing by a single point, Manu Ginobili took an inbound pass from Leonard, and delivered the game winner in Double Overtime from 3-point land.
The Spurs became the first team to overcome a 16 point deficit with 4 minutes or less left in the game.
Next: No. 1 Greatest Games In Spurs History
1. Spurs vs Pistons Game 5 2005 NBA Finals: Dagger in Detroit: With the series hanging in the balance, Robert Horry stepped up and hit one big shot after another to keep the Spurs in the game against the defending champion Detroit Pistons.
In the last seconds, Manu Ginobili made a wonderful bounce pass to Horry, who added to his legacy as Big Shot Bob! Horry’s final big shot of the game was a thing of beauty for Spurs fans.
On the biggest stage in the NBA , at the most important moment, Horry hit a shot for the ages, and added to his legacy and the legacy of the San Antonio Spurs.