There have been many memories during years of watching San Antonio Spurs games. Digging deep into the franchise, we take a look at some of the greatest games in the Spurs history.
I have omitted the actual Championship games from the Spurs 5 Championships in making this list of the San Antonio Spurs most exciting games, because those games are exciting in a special way. The Championship games represent an entire season’s journey come to joyful fruition , and therefore cannot be compared to other playoff games.
Regular season games also cannot be compared to playoff games. Plus if I put those Championship games on the list, there would only be room for five more games, and the Spurs history has too many monumental thrillers to do that.
Note: This is a two part series.
Next: No. 10 Greatest Games In Spurs History
10. Spurs vs Heat Game 1 2013 Finals: The San Antonio Spurs playing in their first Finals game in 6 years, stole home court from the Miami Heat in spectacular fashion. Thanks to a big run to finish the game, that was punctuated by a game sealing shot from Tony Parker. The South Beach Shuffle:
Next: No. 9 Greatest Games In Spurs History
9. Spurs vs Heat Game 1 of 2014 Finals: With the game in the balance late in the 4th quarter, and the air condition on the fritz in the AT &T Center in San Antonio, two things happened. Lebron James got a serious case of the cramps, and Danny Green picked the right time to get hot. Green nailed huge 3 pointers late to help the Spurs capture Game 1 of the Finals for the second straight year in a row. Heat Check:
Next: No. 8 Greatest Games In Spurs History
8. Spurs vs Sonics Game 6 of 2005 Playoffs: With the game tied late and only seconds left, Gregg Popovich put the ball in the hands of Manu Ginobili, who delivered a laser pass to Tim Duncan , and Duncan put in the game winner, and series clincher with .5 seconds left to play. Silencing the Sonics:
Next: No. 7 Greatest Games In Spurs History
7. Spurs vs Suns Game 5 of 2007 playoffs. In what was essentially the Championship series. (Spurs easily beat the Jazz in 5 games in the Western Conference Finals, and the Cavaliers in a Finals sweep) The Spurs came back from a double digit deficit in the game to defeat the Suns in a classic game and dramatic series. Parker penetrated and found Bowen (nicknamed Roach by Sean Elliott for hanging around in the corners) who then hit the go ahead 3 pointer with 30 seconds left to play. This shot helped propel the Spurs to a pivotal Game 5 win on the road, which lead to a series clinching win back in San Antonio for Game 6. Roach in the Corner:
Next: No. 6 Greatest Games In Spurs History
6. Spurs vs. Mavericks Game 6 of 2003 Conference Finals. With the Spurs trailing by double digits in the 4th quarter, Gregg Popovich decided to give Steve Kerr a shot. Kerr who had not been a part of the playoff rotation, answered the call. Steve Kerr connected on all 4 of his 3 point attempts to help the Spurs advance to the Finals. The 4th Kerrter: