The NBA released the full schedule for the 2018 MGM Resorts Summer League. When will the San Antonio Spurs play?
After the 2018 NBA Draft takes place and free agency begins, there’s the annual summer league. It takes place in July, and always sees the San Antonio Spurs in the mix. This usually features a handful of first or second-year players and free agents brought in for a tryout.
The Spurs were already announced for the 2018 Utah Jazz Summer League. However, the NBA revealed its schedule for the 2018 Las Vegas Summer League (now known as the MGM Resorts NBA Summer League) and listed the Silver and Black for the following games:
- Saturday, July 7 vs. Indiana Pacers at 12:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2
- Sunday, July 8 vs. Washington Wizards at 12:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2
- Tuesday, July 10 vs. Portland Trail Blazers at 1:00 p.m. ET on NBA TV
Below are general dates for the playoff tournament, which could see the Spurs play during any of them:
- Wednesday, July 11 will see first round tournament games take place
- Thursday, July 12 will see first and second round tournament games take place
- Friday, July 13 will see consolation games take place
- Saturday, July 14 will see second round tournament games take place
- Sunday, July 15 will see the quarterfinals take place
- Monday, July 16 will see the semifinals take place
- Tuesday, July 17 will see the championship game take place
There’s no word on who the Spurs will include on their summer league team, but with the games only a few weeks away, this should be known soon. Look for Derrick White, 2017’s first-round pick, to play in Utah and Vegas, along with whoever the team selects at No. 18 overall in next Thursday’s draft.
Head coach Gregg Popovich usually steps aside and allows an assistant to run the summer league team. 2017 saw Becky Hammon takeover, so will she receive the opportunity this time around?
The summer league is just one part of what will be an active NBA offseason. It’s also the small window for fans who want to watch more basketball, with a four-month wait afterward for the 2018-19 season to start.