In September 2022, the NBA will continue its tradition of playing games overseas, with games in Japan, the United Arab Emirates, and France on the docket. While the San Antonio Spurs won't be involved in any this season, they've frequently been volunteered to participate in the past.
During their dynastic tear through the league, the Spurs popularized the international game tremendously, with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker leading the way. As such, they were given plenty of opportunities to showcase their talents against international competition over the years to thrill new crowds.
The first official game featuring an NBA team playing internationally occurred way back in 1978, when the Washington Bullets took on Maccabi Tel Aviv. Since then, San Antonio has faced several overseas teams and other NBA teams in multiple countries.
Starting in 1994, here's how the Spurs have fared in every international game throughout their rich history.
1994-95 Spurs Preseason Games (Mexico City)
- Oct. 28, 1994: San Antonio Spurs def. Houston Rockets, 121-112
- Oct. 29, 1994: Seattle SuperSonics def. San Antonio Spurs, 124-95
- Oct. 28, 1995: San Antonio Spurs def. Washington Bullets, 125-107
1999 International Games (Assago, Italy)
- Oct. 15, 1999: San Antonio Spurs def. Varese Roosters (Italy), 96-86
- Oct. 16, 1999: San Antonio Spurs def. Vasco De Gama (Brazil), 103-68
2003 International Games (Paris, France)
- Oct. 8, 2003: San Antonio Spurs def. Memphis Grizzlies, 105-93
2006 International Games (France)
- Oct. 5, 2006: San Antonio Spurs def. ASVEL (France), 115-90
- Oct. 8, 2006: San Antonio Spurs def. Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv (Israel), 97-84
San Antonio Hosts International Games in 2007 and 2009
- Oct. 13, 2007: San Antonio Spurs def. Panathinaikos (Greece), 113-91 (AT&T Center)
- Oct. 9, 2009: San Antonio Spurs def. Olympiacos (Greece), 107-89 (AT&T Center)
2010 International Games
- Oct. 12, 2010: San Antonio Spurs def. LA Clippers 100-99 (Mexico City)
- Oct. 16, 2010: San Antonio Spurs def. Caja Laboral (Spain), 108-85 (AT&T Center)
International Games from 2012-2014
- Oct. 6, 2012: San Antonio Spurs def. Montepaschi Siena (Italy), 106-77 (AT&T Center)
- Oct. 9, 2013: San Antonio Spurs def. CSKA Moscow (Russia), 95-93 (AT&T Center)
- Oct. 8, 2014: Alba Berlin def. San Antonio Spurs, 94-93 (Berlin, Germany)
- Oct. 11, 2014: San Antonio Spurs def. Fenerbahçe Ülker, 96-90 (Istanbul, Turkey)
International Games from 2017-2019 (Mexico City)
- Jan. 14, 2017: Phoenix Suns def. San Antonio Spurs, 108-105
- Dec. 14, 2019: San Antonio Spurs def. Phoenix Suns, 121-119 (OT)
All in all, the Spurs have gone 15-3 in international play, with losses to the Seattle SuperSonics, Alba Berlin, and Phoenix Suns for an 83.3% win rate.
If they can get super lucky and nab Victor Wembanyama in next year's NBA Draft, something tells me more international trips could be on the horizon.