As the Kawhi Leonard situation with the San Antonio Spurs unfolds, let’s look at the latest rumors on his status.
The Kawhi Leonard situation with the San Antonio Spurs has taken over the NBA offseason. With his recently-reported trade desire, it throws the franchise into a loop and puts a decision on the line: Do they trade the would-be face of the franchise or let everything play out?
As the start of free agency nears, the Leonard saga will only continue to unfold. However, along the way, there have been a handful of rumors to accompany it. Let’s take a look at the recent ones, as of June 26, and what it could all mean:
- Leonard’s reported desire is to play for the Los Angeles Lakers, as they are in the vicinity of his hometown. However, the Spurs’ unwillingness to move him in the same conference may deter this.
- According to Sam Amick of USA Today, San Antonio will indeed only move Leonard to the Eastern Conference or choose to keep him on the roster. The latter is a risk, of course, as they can lose him in the 2019 offseason for nothing, pending a contract extension takes place beforehand.
- The Lakers still called the Spurs, though, to no surprise. They were shut down almost immediately.
- There were disputing rumors on the Phoenix Suns’ interest in Leonard before the draft. Nothing came to fruition, however, despite a handful of assets in the Valley of the Sun.
- Terry Pluto of Cleveland.com reported that the Cleveland Cavaliers called the Silver and Black on Leonard’s availability. This came about before the draft, and it’s easy to think the No. 8 pick, which became Collin Sexton, was involved.
- The Boston Celtics made an offer for Leonard in February. Obviously, nothing came about, but will they approach the Spurs again, if they have not already?
The Spurs have a long road ahead with Leonard, with whatever happens this summer. Either way, there will be a franchise-altering move made, whether it’s a trade, a new contract or allowing him to hit free agency in one year.