If the San Antonio Spurs actually trade Kawhi Leonard this offseason, what could be some of the questions that surround the future?
The Kawhi Leonard saga with the San Antonio Spurs continues to be one of the NBA’s main topics. That’s even in the midst of the playoffs, and once that ends, the focus may shift even more towards this once quiet organization and its star.
What if this eventually results in a trade, though? Let’s say it does and the Spurs send Leonard to another team. How many questions will arise for the Silver and Black’s future?
Let’s look at some of the possible talking points if a Leonard trade happens:
- Did the Spurs get enough in return for Leonard?
- What was the final straw for the Spurs trading Leonard?
- Did Leonard request a trade?
- Did the Spurs offer Leonard a contract extension before the trade?
- Did Leonard’s “group” actually want him out of San Antonio?
- Is this the end of the dynasty?
- Is this officially a rebuild?
- Can the Spurs still make the playoffs with this roster? If so, how far can they go?
- If this happens before free agency, how will it impact their strategy?
It’s only a potential look into the future, if a Leonard trade happens this offseason or in his final year of the contract. This may not be all the questions, either, whether they surround the player or the franchise itself.
While ESPN’s extensive report painted a picture of the situation, it’s still possible that Gregg Popovich eases the tension this summer and gets the communication in line between both sides. Whenever that happens remains to be seen, but there’s the potential a trade never happens, and neither an extension, meaning Leonard plays for the Spurs in 2018-19 and this situation leaks into 2019 free agency. That may create even more questions and a more complicated process.