Rounding up the latest San Antonio Spurs news, opinions and more.
The San Antonio Spurs opened the 2017-18 regular season with a win, as they defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves, 107-99. This was behind a double-double from LaMarcus Aldridge and 16 points from Dejounte Murray. Danny Green also closed the game with two late 3-pointers.
It was a big day of anticipation for the Spurs that resulted in a positive first night. News and opinions filled the headlines for not just the win, but other organization-related items. Let’s take a look at what everyone said:
- If you missed Air Alamo’s recap from the season opener, there was plenty that happened in the game beyond the final score.
- What could we take away from the Spurs win over the Timberwolves? From Murray to Aldridge, there were some interesting things to note.
- Before the game, the Spurs played a message of equality on the jumbotron. ESPN’s Michael C. Wright has more on this, along with a comment from head coach Gregg Popovich.
- The H-E-B commercials returned, and they’re better than ever. Rudy Gay made his debut in the first spot.
- Before Wednesday’s game, Lorne Chan of Spurs.com profiled Gay’s return to the court. He spoke about being desperate to play and Popovich caring about his situation.
- News4SanAntonio.com looked at how Tony Parker returned to the court for shootaround on the 18th. There’s still no definitive timetable for his return.
- Speaking of no timetables for return, Sports Illustrated had Dr. Armin Tehrany explain why Kawhi Leonard won’t be out for long. He’s rehabbing a quad injury which caused him to miss the preseason and the season opener.
More Spurs news and opinions will arise before Saturday’s game against the Chicago Bulls. Could it involve Leonard’s return? A potential shakeup to the rotation? Let’s see what unfolds over the next 24-48 hours.