Before 2017 NBA free agency starts, let’s look at what the San Antonio Spurs were rumored to do.
On July 1, at 12:01 a.m. ET, the San Antonio Spurs and 29 other teams will be able to officially speak with players, whose contracts expired. It’s the beginning of the NBA’s New Year, so it opens up plenty of avenues for free agency, trades and more.
Given that free agency hasn’t started, nothing has been made official, as for rumored deals. So anything related to the Spurs isn’t guaranteed to happen, like the multiple players they’ve been linked to.
There’s a growing laundry list of free agents San Antonio is tied to. Who does this include?
- Mike Dunleavy was one of the smaller names linked to the Spurs. This is according to Sam Amico of AmicoHoops.net. Dunleavy last played with the Atlanta Hawks.
- Amico also reported the Spurs having an interest in Kyle Korver. He split the 2016-17 season with the Hawks and Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Rudy Gay also got tied to San Antonio, according to Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News. Gay opted out of his contract to become a free agent.
- According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Spurs will offer restricted free agent Jonathon Simmons a $9 million salary to stay. He played the past two seasons in the Alamo City.
- ESPN’s Chris Haynes reported a meeting between Andre Iguodala and the Spurs being official for the start of free agency. This will come at 12:01 a.m. ET.
It’s a lot to digest, if you’re a Spurs fan. There will be more to come, too, especially once 12:01 a.m. ET passes. This will see more free-agent discussions go public, and not just for San Antonio.
It should continue to be a wild night in the NBA, as the offseason reaches its climax. Who will align with the five-time NBA champions?