Sports Illustrated released a Top 100 NBA Players of 2016. There were some accurate placements and some questionable selections of course. On September 2nd, players ranked from 30-11 will be released.
More from Air Alamo
- San Antonio Spurs: Jakob Poeltl reasserting himself as a defensive force
- San Antonio Spurs: Trading for John Collins still a longshot for Spurs
- Spurs’ opponents are making unfortunate history at ATT Center
- San Antonio Spurs: Role change needed to bring out best in Lonnie Walker
- San Antonio Spurs: Diaw shares how Tim Duncan once souped up his ride
Which Spurs have been ranked as of now?
Tony Parker ranked No. 53 despite a disappointing season filled with injuries.
April 22, 2015; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Clippers centerDeAndre Jordan
(6) blocks a scoring attempt by San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker (9) during the first half in game two of the first round of the NBA Playoffs. at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Parker averaged 14.4 points and 4.9 assists last year. In the postseason, Parker was terrible. The 33-year old guard averaged 10.9 points and 3.6 assists. Even with a poor season, Parker was ranked a bit highly, as there are a few players that are better than Parker at this stage. Kobe Bryant (#54), Monta Ellis (#57), Bradley Beal (#62), and Nikola Vucevic (#67) are arguably better than Parker.
Danny Green‘s ranking will surprise most. The 28-year old ranked 50th on the list. Green placed ahead of players like Rudy Gay (#52), Ty Lawson (#51), and DeMar DeRozan (#61). Green is an elite “3-and-D” wing, but he doesn’t possess the skill that many of the players on this list have. In terms of playing his role on a contender, he does it as well as anyone, but this list isn’t for good role players.
Green had a career year last season as he posted averages of 11.7 points and 4.2 rebounds. His 191 three-pointers made set a new franchise record, previously held by Chuck Person (190).
Danny Green and Tony Parker will be key contributors for the Spurs next season, but they were ranked too highly on this list.