The San Antonio Spurs will be elite, it’s almost a certainty. This doesn’t mean they are perfect; in fact, they are from it. The Spurs have multiple areas they must fix.
Last season, the Spurs finished 55-27 before losing to the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of the NBA playoffs, and San Antonio failed to win the Southwest Division for the first time since 2010.
Apr 10, 2015; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guardJames Harden
(13) dribbles the ball as San Antonio Spurs guardDanny Green
(14) defends during the second quarter at Toyota Center. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
There are a few numbers the Spurs must look to improve. Improving these numbers will help boost their chances of winning an NBA title.
The San Antonio Spurs were a terrific three-point shooting team (37 percent). The problem was that they didn’t defend the trifecta well. The Spurs ranked 24th in three-point defense, they allowed the opposition to shoot 36 percent from downtown. One would think that with Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green on the perimeter the Spurs would defend the outside well, but they don’t. This season, a healthy Tony Parker should help, but don’t expect a major turnaround, he isn’t necessarily a stopper on defense.
More from Air Alamo
- San Antonio Spurs: Trading for John Collins still a longshot for Spurs
- Spurs’ opponents are making unfortunate history at ATT Center
- San Antonio Spurs: Role change needed to bring out best in Lonnie Walker
- San Antonio Spurs: Diaw shares how Tim Duncan once souped up his ride
- 3 Austin Spurs who impressed in G League opener
The Spurs ranked 15th in rebounds (43.6 per game). They will look to improve that with the additions of LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge averaged 10.2 rebounds last season, West averaged 6.8 boards per contest. Rebounds win games!
The San Antonio Spurs finished tied for 14th in turnovers (13.5) last year. The Spurs must cut down on turnovers if they want to make a run at the championship. In the postseason the Spurs averaged a respectable 12.1 turnovers a game. That’s a number they should look to target.