Jul 11, 2015; Las Vegas, NV, USA; San Antonio Spurs forward Jonathan Simmons (16) is fouled by New York Nicks forwardThanasis Antetokounmpo
(43) while shooting during an NBA Summer League game at Thomas & Mack Center. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports
The San Antonio Spurs signed Jonathon Simmons on Friday. The deal is for two-years and is a veteran’s minimum contract.
Simmons is a 6″6 shooting guard born in Houston.
Simmons was undrafted after playing for Houston University in 2011-12. He averaged 14.7 points and 5 rebounds. Simmons has spent his last few years in the D-League with the Austin Spurs.
Simmons averaged 15.2 points and 3.7 assists last year. He also shot 40% from three and was selected to the NBA D-League All-Defensive Third Team. In the playoffs Simmons was even better, as he scored 28 points against the Bakersfield Jam.
The 25-year old is older than most prospects, but he brings maturity and experience that rookies lack. Signing the sharpshooter is a low risk, high reward move for the organization.
Simmons is also a good athlete, as shown below in this clip, as he dunked on Michael Eric.
Simmons isn’t your typical wing, as he can defend, shoot, and even attack the rim. He does lots of things, which is rare for a player that isn’t on an NBA roster. If Simmons keeps playing well in the Summer
More from Air Alamo
- San Antonio Spurs: 3 Games postponed in wake of positive COVID tests
- Andre Drummond is everything the San Antonio Spurs don’t need right now
- San Antonio Spurs: White’s return to form skyrockets Spurs potential
- San Antonio Spurs: Four trade partners to watch for as deadline nears
- Predicting Spurs’ week 9 results, featuring trap games abound
League, he will have a chance to rack up some minuscule playing time on a loaded Spurs team. In two summer league games with the Spurs he is averaging 14 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists. He averaged 12 points and 4.7 rebounds with the Brooklyn Nets in the Orlando Summer League.
Below is a highlights video of Jonathon Simmons 28 point game in the D-League playoffs. The video was uploaded by nbadleague.