The NBA Awards keeping coming as today the Defensive Player of the Year was announced as the Memphis Grizzlies Marc Gasol took home the coveted award. Gasol, 28, a player that may be a surprise to many taking the award as Joakim Noah,Tim Duncan, LeBron James and Serge Ibake were heavy favorites to battle it out for the award. He had a great year for the Grizzlies as he averaged just under two blocks a game and nearly eight rebounds per.
As for Tim Duncan, he made a strong case for the DPOY as he showed his worth as he would come to his career average in blocks at 2.7 per game. What Duncan does best in my eyes is the way he guards the rim and makes other things twice about going into the paint.
Duncan picked up just 11 first place votes. He finished sixth in voting.
Here is the full list from Spurs Nation.
Voting, 2012-13 Defensive Player of the Year
1. Marc Gasol, Memphis (212 points, 30 first place votes)
2. LeBron James, Miami (149, 18)
3. Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City (122, 14)
4. Joakim Noah, Chicago (107, 13)
5. Tony Allen, Memphis (102, nine)
6. Tim Duncan, Spurs (94, 11)
7. Larry Sanders, Milwaukee (90, four)
8. Paul George, Indiana (57, eight)
9. Andre Iguodala, Denver (43, five)
10. Roy Hibbert, Indiana (36, three)