Here’s a couple of Spurs-Mavs related notes before game time.
– Kawhi Leonard has had a really impressive March. He’s averaged nearly 11 points and 6.1 rebounds in about 27 minutes of action. It’s only been three games but Kawhi hasn’t done anything well against the Mavs. They’ve limited him to five points per game and 36.8 percent shooting.
– Jason Terry has torched the Spurs. He’s averaging 21.3 points, 3.7 assists on 24-47 shooting (.511 FG%). Terry’s deadly midrange game, especially, has hurt the Spurs: He has converted nine shots from 16-23 feet.
– San Antonio has limited Dirk Nowitzki though. Dirk has posted averages of 14.3 points and 38.6 shooting. The Spurs don’t have an elite interior defender that can stretch out to the perimeter but, instead, they combat Dirk’s unique game with tireless effort, help defense and a steady dose of Kawhi.
– Dirk on playing Spurs: “It was a playoff battle. Anytime we see the Spurs it’s a fun game, great atmosphere, both teams really trying to get the win. As expected, it was a physical game.”
– Since February, Tim Duncan has averaged 16.6 points and 10.3 rebounds in 29.2 minutes. Lately we’ve seen a rejuvenated, spry Duncan that is capable of dunking the ball with startling ferocity.
– 24-year-old point guard Rodrigue Beaubois enjoys playing the Spurs. Beaubois poured in 16 points and grabbed eight boards on 8-16 shooting in the Mavericks seven point victory last Friday.
– Mavs injury report: Brendan Haywood (knee) and Delonte West (finger) have been ruled out and Shawn Marion (sore left knee) will play after missing three games. Haywood’s absence will be felt tonight especially in the paint. In three games against the Spurs, Haywood averaged 3.5 offensive rebounds and 2.5 blocks
– Spurs injury report: Matt Bonner (back) is probable, Tiago Splitter (back spasms) upgraded to doubtful, Tony Parker ruled out (hamstring). Parker’s injury seems to be precautionary. The impending back-to-back-to-back probably forced Pop’s hand. It’s also a possibility that he wants to avoid a scenario where he’s sitting Parker, Ginobili and Duncan.
– New Spur: Boris Diaw won’t play tonight but his addition represents another quality addition for the Spurs.
Topics: Boris Diaw, Brendan Haywood, Dallas Mavericks, Delonte West, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Kawhi Leonard, Matt Bonner, Rodrigue Beaubois, San Antonio Spurs, Shawn Marion, Tiago Splitter, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker